Not sure about moving during the pandemic? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. The Coronavirus pandemic and lockdowns have compelled all of us to stay up-to-date with the latest recommendations from the government and the CDC. Here are a few tips from the American Moving and Storage Association on how to move safely.
- Inform your moving company ASAP if you or someone in your household has coronavirus symptoms. Being upfront and transparent is important to keep everyone safe. Having symptoms doesn’t mean your move is cancelled, but it may require additional safety procedures to protect the moving crew. Please also inform the moving company if you are currently isolating due to exposure or awaiting a covid-19 test result as the movers will most likely use the same safety protocols.
- Provide safety and hygiene products for the moving crew. Please make available things like soap, paper towels, and hand sanitizer so movers can maintain proper hygiene. If you are unable to provide them or to provide sufficient quantities, please let your movers know so they can supply their own.
- Use boxes you already have or buy new boxes. To ensure the highest safety standards, please don’t use free/recycled boxes. Boxes you already own are OK, but if you need more please purchase new ones from your moving company or a store.
- Cancel or postpone your move if you are at high risk. People over the age of 60 or with heart and lung issues should carefully consider the risks. If you are able, postpone your move until it’s safe.
- Cancel early. If you need to cancel for any reason, let your movers know ASAP. Considering cancelling your move? Contact your mover to discuss the procedure and policies if you decide to cancel.
- Be flexible with any travel plans associated with your move. If you need to book flights or hotels, try to make refundable reservations or check if you can cancel at no charge. Be sure to check change/cancellation policies before making a reservation.
Moving during the coronavirus pandemic is different than moving during normal times. Make sure you know the current safety guidelines and recommendations regarding masks, social distancing, and sanitation
One benefit of all the pandemic restrictions is that you probably will have more time to organize before your move. Take this time to downsize and get rid of unwanted or unused items. Consider donating them as many people are in need during the pandemic. Just make sure you call ahead to make sure that the organization is open and accepting the type of items you wish to donate.
Stay safe before, during, and after your move. Make sure you check our website regularly to see any updates regarding new changes or policies. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us at 253-215-1850.